Long Island News
Ed Mangano wins race for Nassau County executive
NEW YORK -- Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano, a Republican, successfully turned away a challenge Tuesday from Thomas Suozzi, a Democrat who had previously held the job for two terms.
With 98 percent of the vote counted, unofficial results showed Mangano leading Suozzi 59 percent to 41 percent.
Mangano, 51, touted his tax-cutting policies as well as his handling of the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy, which caused tremendous destruction on Long Island's southern coast. He also put together a proposal to renovate the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, the NHL arena being vacated in 2015 by the New York Islanders.
"What a great night!" Mangano told supporters at his victory party. He said he felt "blessed" to continue in the job.
Suozzi, who lost a re-election bid to Mangano in 2009 by just a few hundred votes, said his failed comeback was "a tough loss for Democrats - a tough loss for me personally."
"So many people were so loyal, under such tough circumstances," he said.
The wealthy county just east of New York City has been under a state-imposed financial watchdog since 1999. In 2011 it declared a fiscal emergency and imposed a wage freeze on county workers that remains in effect.
Lawrence Levy, executive dean of the Hofstra University National Center for Suburban Studies, said this year's election was being watched beyond Long Island as a barometer for the 2014 midterm elections in Washington because it is viewed as a typical suburban swing county.
long island news, long island, long island news
- Shot Brooklyn teen speaks out; Man in custody 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Woman tries to grab stroller from nanny in Chelsea 43 min ago
- 12 dead, 3 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Suspect arrested in Kansas City highway shootings 39 min ago
- Police identify suspect in Bronx subway exposure 21 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 37 min ago
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry...
37 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos