Long Island News
George Maragos wins in Nassau County Comptroller rematch
NASSAU COUNTY (WABC) -- It appears the Republican incumbent has defeated his Democratic challenger in a close race for Nassau County Comptroller.
George Maragos leads Howard Weitzman, who preceded him in office. Maragos also defeated Weitzman two years ago.
The two were neck and neck heading into Election Day, according to polls. But Maragos was ahead 53 percent to 47 percent, according to unofficial returns.
"This is a great victory for the residents of Nassau County," Maragos said. "They spoke loud and clear, and we will hold the line on taxes for the next four years to protect them and improve our economy."
The 64-year-old previously Maragos headed a Manhattan financial technology firm.
long island news, long island, long island news
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- AccuWeather: Much Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims 31 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 26 min ago
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half 52 min ago
- Malaysia asks countries for radar data to help find jet
- Here and Now
- Viewpoint on WABC-TV
- Tiempo on WABC-TV
- Up Close with Diana Williams