Long Island News
Long Island mom who killed kids loses bid to collect estate cash
MINEOLA -- A judge says a Long Island mother who drowned her three children in 2008 is not entitled to a share of their estate.
The ruling was made Wednesday in the case of Leatrice Brewer.
Attorney Peter Kelly had said she was seeking a share of the children's $350,000 estate as a way of blocking their fathers from getting the money.
Brewer's bid hinged on whether New York's "Son of Sam" law that bars criminals from profiting from their crimes applied to her case. But the judge at the Long Island hearing had noted that because she was never convicted, Brewer might not be subject to the law.
The money comes from lawsuits the fathers settled with Nassau County over claims that social services workers failed to properly monitor Brewer.
long island news, long island, long island news
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 5 injured when car crashes into Bronx store 30 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video 10 min ago
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- Metro-North worker fatally struck by train in NYC
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins 4 min ago
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies
- UCONN sophomore accuses sorority sisters of hazing
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Missing Brooklyn boy found safe on subway
8 min ago
- Oheka Castle owner speaks out in video
10 min ago
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp...
4 min ago