Long Island News
Long Island mom who killed kids loses bid to collect estate cash
MINEOLA -- A judge says a Long Island mother who drowned her three children in 2008 is not entitled to a share of their estate.
The ruling was made Wednesday in the case of Leatrice Brewer.
Attorney Peter Kelly had said she was seeking a share of the children's $350,000 estate as a way of blocking their fathers from getting the money.
Brewer's bid hinged on whether New York's "Son of Sam" law that bars criminals from profiting from their crimes applied to her case. But the judge at the Long Island hearing had noted that because she was never convicted, Brewer might not be subject to the law.
The money comes from lawsuits the fathers settled with Nassau County over claims that social services workers failed to properly monitor Brewer.
long island news, long island, long island news
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for missing jet 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run 56 min ago
- Kindergartener leaves school unnoticed in Morrisania
- Missing man found buried in nephew's backyard
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control 18 min ago
- Florida family falls ill after eating meat with LSD
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner 7 min ago
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks head
- Photos: Stolen jewelry items in Ramsey robbery
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in hunt for...
47 min ago