Long Island News
Long Island mom who killed kids loses bid to collect estate cash
MINEOLA -- A judge says a Long Island mother who drowned her three children in 2008 is not entitled to a share of their estate.
The ruling was made Wednesday in the case of Leatrice Brewer.
Attorney Peter Kelly had said she was seeking a share of the children's $350,000 estate as a way of blocking their fathers from getting the money.
Brewer's bid hinged on whether New York's "Son of Sam" law that bars criminals from profiting from their crimes applied to her case. But the judge at the Long Island hearing had noted that because she was never convicted, Brewer might not be subject to the law.
The money comes from lawsuits the fathers settled with Nassau County over claims that social services workers failed to properly monitor Brewer.
long island news, long island, long island news
- Autistic boy missing in Brooklyn 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- 2 dead after wreck on Southern State 5 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- Autopsies completed on 7 Utah babies
- Student suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Judge threatens to duct tape defendant's mouth in murder trial
- No graduation selfies at Rhode Island college
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Employees tied up, Car parts stolen in Elizabeth
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen 54 min ago
- Suspect charged in shooting of Brooklyn teen
54 min ago