Long Island News
Alligator found in Islip home
ISLIP -- Authorities say a 13-inch alligator has been found in a home in Islip, Long Island.
Police spotted the alligator in a tank Friday when they were in the home on an unrelated matter.
It is the 20th alligator found on Long Island in the past year.
The Suffolk County SPCA and the New York state Department of Environmental Conservation responded and confiscated the animal.
It is illegal to own an alligator in New York state. The owners of the alligator found in Islip could be fined.
The Suffolk SPCA hosted a reptile amnesty program in September where people could turn their illegal pets in without facing charges.
SPCA Chief Roy Gross says the alligator found Friday was in good health. It will be sent to a safe location such as an animal sanctuary.
long island news, long island, islip, animals, long island news
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way 33 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- South Brunswick elderly couple robbed and scammed
- Store workers fight back during Bushwick robbery
- Fort Lee students to make up snow days
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Ferry service to resume between Haverstraw, Ossining
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Photos: Huge fire damages San Francisco building
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
33 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos