Long Island News
Suffolk County man accused of murdering girlfriend
RIDGE, New York (WABC) -- A Ridge man was arrested and accused of killing his girlfriend outside of their Long Island apartment.
Jose Rodriguez was taken into custody after cops responded to many 911 calls for shots fired in the Brookwood at Ridge Garden Apartments in the Suffolk County neighborhood this weekend.
Prosecutors say Rodriguez shot and killed 36-year old Kimberly Selitto, his long-time on and off again girlfriend, after they had apprently gotten into a big fight.
"The last time I spoke to her about two months ago she said things had been rough and they were trying to work on things," said a friend, Seth Senkalski.
Police say when they arrived to the apartment, officers discovered Selitto's body lying on the front lawn of the building, dead from an apparent gunshot wound. Rodriguez allegedly shot her in the back of the head, and then in the back as she ran to try to get away.
People had heard Selitto running for help, falling just short of a neighbor's door.
"The gun pow pow pow, and then screaming, and then firepower and then dead silence," said a neighbor, Kimberly Scott.
At their apartment in Ridge, the front window is blown out, and cars are still riddled with bullets after Rodriguez allegedly fired on responding officers.
Prosecutors say Rodriguez took his two young sons hostage inside the apartment.
"I know that there was a phone call made to the mother of the children from him during which time he admitted he had just killed his girlfriend," said prosecutor Robert Biancavilla.
Officers from the Emergency Service Section and the Hostage Negotiation Team responded and negotiators were able to get Rodriguez to release his two children.
Police say later in the negotiations, while Rodriguez was still in the apartment, he fired multiple rounds from a rifle at Emergency Services officers, even striking an armored vehicle.
Officers fired back at the Rodriguez, who was not injured, and he eventually surrendered.
The two kids were released to their mother.
Rodriguez is being held without bail.
Asked whether he was sorry, Rodriguez said, "Yes I'm very sorry. It was a domestic dispute. I'm sorry for everything I did."
"He loved his kids and his kids loved Kim so that makes it even more extreme. It's insane," said Senkalski.
long island news, long island, long island news, kristin thorne
- LIRR suspended between Huntington, Hicksville 23 min ago
- 1 dead in Midtown fire; Fire truck crash injures 2 27 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gorgeous day, then weather whiplash
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Photos: Weather whiplash
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn 47 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn; 9 hurt 10 min ago
- Photos: Brooklyn school bus accident
- Man with stolen passport on jet was asylum seeker 20 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines missing plane
- Sketch released of suspect in Hoboken sex assault
- Nassau County employees protest wage freeze
- Fed investigators probe Port Authority chairman
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures 43 min ago
- School bus collides with taxi in Brooklyn;...
10 min ago