Long Island News
Long Island firefighter killed in hunting accident
WESTFORD (WABC) -- A Long Island man accused of accidentally shooting a local firefighter during a hunting trip over the weekend could face homicide charges.
Charles Bruce, 52, of the Malverne Fire Department was killed after one of his friends mistook him for a deer.
The deadly accident happened in the woods outside the town of Westford in Otsego County just before 10:30 Saturday morning.
Police have not yet released the identity of the shooter, but we know he is a retired member of the Malverne Fire Department.
The district attorney of upstate Otsego County says while he does not believe the shooter meant to kill Bruce, he will be looking into whether to charge him with reckless or negligent homicide.
Bruce was a member of the Malverne Fire Department for 17 years.
He leaves behind two grown children.
Funeral arrangements are still being planned.
Regular deer hunting season started in New York's southern zone at dawn Saturday.
long island news, long island, malverne, shooting, long island news
- Hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Boy, 2, found with heroin at Paterson day care center
- Pharmacists accused in HIV medication scam
- Teen girl shot in leg in Coney Island
- Firefighters battling Bronx car fire find body inside
- Ex-Christie aides want traffic jam subpoenas withdrawn
- Malaysia plane changed direction, military says
- Obama, in NYC for fundraising trip, shops at Gap
- Call released after Oregon couple calls 911 on pet cat
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos