Long Island News
New York Supreme Court rejects 'too intoxicated' murder defense
ALBANY (WABC) -- Martin Heidgen has lost his battle to get out of prison. He's serving out a minimum 18 year sentence for second degree murder in the 2006 deaths of little flower girl Katie Flynn and limo driver Stanley Rabinowitz.
Heidgen drove drunk the wrong way on the Meadowbrook State Parkway on the way home from a wedding in July 2005 before crashing head-on into a limousine, killing driver Stanley Rabinowitz, 59, and flower girl Katie Flynn, 7. Heidgen has always said he was too drunk to know what he was doing at the time.
Heidgen, as well as the defendants in two other similar cases, recently appealed their convictions to the state's highest court.
On Thursday, the New York State court of appeals ruled that each of the defendants were aware of what they were doing.
"We find that the evidence in each of these unusually egregious cases was legally sufficient to support the convictions," said Chief Judge Jonathan Lippman.
The Nassau County District attorney's office led the fight against the defendants' appeals presenting arguments to the state's highest court.
"Hopefully this ruling will give other prosecutors the legal confidence to push for murder convictions for the worst of the worst drunk drivers," District Attorney Kathleen Rice told Eyewitness News.
Hopefully this ruling will give other prosecutors the legal confidence to push for murder convictions for the worst of the worst drunk drivers.
long island news, long island, drunk driving, murder, long island news, kristin thorne
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster 48 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Sketch released in Upper East Side jewelry robbery
- NYC mayor to announce Sandy recovery reforms
- Man arrested in Queens anti-Muslim harassment on bus 39 min ago
- Pair robs 4 Brooklyn banks in 2-hour span 13 min ago
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Boston rice cooker suspect sent to psych hospital 1 min ago
- Boston rice cooker suspect sent to psych...
1 min ago