Long Island News
Hempstead deli owners accused of trying to scam lottery winner
HEMPSTEAD (WABC) -- A father and son on Long Island are accused of trying to bilk a million dollar lottery winner out of his prize.
Nabil and Karim Jaghab of East Meadow are charged with grand larceny.
The pair run the Peninsula Deli in Hempstead.
Police say a 34-year old Hempstead man purchased a $10 "Unwrap The Cash" scratch off New York State Lottery Ticket.
After playing the lottery card and believing he had been a winner, he handed the ticket to Karim Jaghab.
Police say Jaghab told him he had won $1,000 when in fact the winning ticket was a Jackpot Prize for $1 million.
According to investigators, the ticket holder returned to the store Friday and questioned Jaghab, who allegedly told him, "Ok, I will pay you $10,000 as long as you don't involve the police". Police say the father, Nabil Jaghab, reiterated his son's claim, telling the victim, "You only won $10,000.
The man called police, who determined that the son and his father did in fact attempt to deceive the victim and claim the winnings for themselves.
The Jaghabs were arraigned Saturday on grand larceny charges. According to Newsday, their attorney said it was a simple mistake on a payout on a lottery machine.
long island news, long island, hempstead, lottery, long island news
- 3 more bodies pulled from rubble in East Harlem 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims 30 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Newark tanker fire snarls traffic, delays NJ Transit trains
- Photos: Newark tanker fire
- Survivors describe explosion in East Harlem 18 min ago
- Dozens homeless after East Harlem buildings destroyed 24 min ago
- Video: 2 men describe pulling child out of rubble 27 min ago
- Investigators focus on an old cast-iron gas pipeline 25 min ago
- Video: East Harlem Explosion on social media
- Video: Damage throughout neighborhood after East...