Long Island News
Sandy displaced families treated to Thanksgiving meal
BALDWIN (WABC) -- For the second Thanksgiving in a row, the Brunettis are having dinner at a strange table.
The Brunetti's home in Baldwin Harbor is now demolished - they are one of 600 families in Nassau County who are still not back in their homes after Hurricane Sandy
"With every passing holiday, it does strike a chord with me," said Tess Brunetti.
However this Thanksgiving was a chance to forget the struggles and enjoy a meal with other Sandy families who understand what each other is going through.
"It's a very nice thing, I never expected such a thing, but it came, so I joined the crowd," said Oceanside resident Milton Goldsmith.
Butch Yamali, the owner of the Coral House in Baldwin put on the event out of his own pocket.
"To see the families that are struggling out there, still not back in their homes more than a year later, it's horrible," says Yamali, "these are our community people, our relatives, people you went to school with."
They also get each other and share a bond - even if it's one they were forced to accept.
"There are just so many people out there who just don't understand, who think it's been a year and people are fine now, said Tess Brunetti.
The struggling may not be over, but there is a sense of peace through keeping tradition.
long island news, long island, long island news, kristin thorne
- Missing Malaysia jet may have turned back 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 34 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Violence in Bronx leaves 1 dead, 1 injured 17 min ago
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Stage collapses at California high school: 30-40 hurt 38 min ago
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
34 min ago