Long Island News
Sandy displaced families treated to Thanksgiving meal
BALDWIN (WABC) -- For the second Thanksgiving in a row, the Brunettis are having dinner at a strange table.
The Brunetti's home in Baldwin Harbor is now demolished - they are one of 600 families in Nassau County who are still not back in their homes after Hurricane Sandy
"With every passing holiday, it does strike a chord with me," said Tess Brunetti.
However this Thanksgiving was a chance to forget the struggles and enjoy a meal with other Sandy families who understand what each other is going through.
"It's a very nice thing, I never expected such a thing, but it came, so I joined the crowd," said Oceanside resident Milton Goldsmith.
Butch Yamali, the owner of the Coral House in Baldwin put on the event out of his own pocket.
"To see the families that are struggling out there, still not back in their homes more than a year later, it's horrible," says Yamali, "these are our community people, our relatives, people you went to school with."
They also get each other and share a bond - even if it's one they were forced to accept.
"There are just so many people out there who just don't understand, who think it's been a year and people are fine now, said Tess Brunetti.
The struggling may not be over, but there is a sense of peace through keeping tradition.
long island news, long island, long island news, kristin thorne
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody 16 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park 20 min ago
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Sparta crash injures woman and 8-year old son 25 min ago
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- Animal activists protest outside Liam Neeson's home 6 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32