Long Island News
15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's in Nassau County
OCEANSIDE, New York (WABC) -- A car crashed into the Trader Joe's supermarket in Oceanside, injuring up to 15 people.
Investigators say this accident is the result of an elderly woman losing control of her car before crashing it in the Trader Joe's.
Up to 15 people, customers and workers, were being treated for various injuries. Some of the victims were taken to Nassau University Medical Center and Winthrop University Hospital.
The car struck at least one person and caused extensive damage to the front of the store.
"I looked back and realized what had happened someone drove through the front of the store, and the fact that it happened is unexplainable," said Eric Lemberg.
Most of the people that were injured were standing in a cashier line when the car came through.
One man got pinned between the car and the wall, but is expected to survive.
Investigators said there was chaos when they arrived.
"We had some people that were not conscious prior to our arrival, a lot of bumps and brusies," said Kevin Klein with the Oceanside Fire Department.
The driver of the vehicle did not suffer any major injuries.
Four people were still being treated for their injuries at area hospitals Friday night, one of them was listed in critical condition.
long island news, long island, long island news
- Guinness drops St. Pat's Day parade sponsorship 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow for some 59 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
- AccuWeather: Snow for some
59 min ago