Long Island News
Bay Shore bandit steals truck with toys for sick kids
BAYSHORE (WABC) -- The search is on for the thief on Long Island who stole a truck filled with toys set to be delivered to children battling serious illnesses.
For a 7-year-old child so sick he can barely smile, a teddy bear can mean the world. Ariz is waiting on a liver transplant.
"I had no idea, but his love for these stuffed animals is great," his mother, Shakeel Fatima, said.
That's why what happened here in Bay Shore on Monday was particularly heartbreaking.
Suffolk County police say sometime between 2:30 and 5:30 p.m., someone stole a white Chevy Box truck. The writing on the truck reads the address at 210 South Fehr Way where it was parked outside the CoCo Events company.
"And we go outside and someone says oh we can't find the truck and I'm like, 'What do you mean you can't find the truck?'" Ray Fransisco, CoCo Events driver, said.
Whether the thief knew it or not, the contents inside the truck were supposed to be donated on Tuesday to these very ill patients at New York Presbyterian's Morgan Stanley Children's hospital. Patients like 7 month old Leni, who has a rare form of leukemia.
So what does her mom think about all this??
"Karma. I can't say the other word, but karma," she said.
In this case, the good guys were meant to win out. That is, the folks from the event company worked late last night and thru the early morning to find new bears to donate -- 160 of them. They found clothing for all the bears, too.
Their hard work paid off with big smiles and lots of holiday cheers.
long island news, long island, bay shore, theft, long island news, stacey sager
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park