Long Island News
Long Island doctor arrested on drug charges
CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. (WABC) -- A suburban New York physician is facing federal charges alleging he illegally prescribed thousands of painkillers.
The U.S. attorney's office says Carmine Mandarano surrendered Thursday to Drug Enforcement Agency agents.
He was awaiting a court appearance on charges of illegally distributing controlled substances.
His attorney did not immediately return a telephone message for comment.
A complaint alleges the 61-year-old Mandarano prescribed more than 300,000 oxycodone pills between 2010 and 2012.
The court papers noted that is an extremely high number for someone who specializes in care for asthma, allergies, immunology and smoking cessation.
Authorities say Mandarano's office is in East Islip.
The arrest is the latest in an ongoing crackdown on doctors accused of illegal painkiller distribution.
long island news, long island, long island news
- Person of interest in custody in Flatbush shooting
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly 46 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Chelsea Clinton announces she is pregnant
- NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls
- Fraternity shuts Ole Miss branch after noose tying
- Police investigating East Harlem hit and run
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
46 min ago