Long Island News
Parents in Kings Park furious when school changes "Silent Night" lyrics
KINGS PARK (WABC) -- There is anger at a Long Island school because they changed the words to the song "Silent Night."
The district says it was to avoid offending people but it seems like it did the opposite.
Parents are so confused that 5th graders at RJO Intermediate School in Kings Park recently performed the song "Silent Night" with all religious words like Christ, God and Jesus taken out.
Dan Gallo, a parent of one of the students was completely offended by it.
"There is so many Christmas songs. Why would you change the lyrics to something that is very near and dear to so many people?" said Gallo.
Another parent, Tina Byrne, doesn't have a problem with what the school did.
The school district says the school principal and the choral director decided to teach the students the altered version.
Some parents are so upset they're passing out flyers which show line by line the lyrics to "Silent Night."
School district officials say they're just as offended as everyone else and they offer their sincerest apologies to the community saying in a statement:
"We are aware that no disrespect was intended on the part of any staff member. We will be taking steps to be certain this never happens again."
For now they'll have to deal with some angry parents.
"I hope that in the future they take consideration of all the families' beliefs," said Gallo.
Some parents admit they didn't even notice.
long island news, long island, long island news
- Exclusive: Mistaken identity arrest
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Measles cases confirmed in Manhattan, Bronx
- Mount Vernon responds to racist tweets by Mahopac players
- Wallington firefighter killed in blaze laid to rest
- Lehigh Valley Dairy recalls orange juice over milk concerns
- Bridget Kelly fights order to give up Bridgegate records
- Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Virus hijacks your computer till you pay
- Battling a third party energy company
- Carmen Berra, wife of Yogi Berra dies at 85 27 min ago
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos