Long Island News
Long Island nativity theft being investigated as hate crime
SAINT JAMES (WABC) -- Police on Long Island are trying to figure out who stole figures from a nativity scene in Suffolk County earlier this week.
The thieves took 2 wise men from the nativity at the intersection of Route 25A and Lake Avenue in Saint James sometime between December 16 and 17.
Police are investigating the incident as a hate crime.
"I didn't know about it. It's too bad. I guess there are some people who are haters," one area resident told us.
The St. James Chamber of Commerce put up the nativity scene. Baby Jesus isn't put out until Christmas Day, so it was one less thing the thieves had an option to take.
"I think it's terrible at this time of year. I don't know it seems to happen all the time doesn't it," Mike Walsh, Stony Brook resident, said.
This isn't the first time something like this has happened in St. James. A few years ago someone knocked down an 8 foot tall menorah just down the street.
"It's pretty nasty. It most probably is teenagers doing it," resident Peter Antoniazzi said.
Suffolk County Crime Stoppers offers a cash reward of up to $5,000 for information that leads to an arrest.
Anyone with information about this crime is asked to call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.
long island news, long island, suffolk county news, theft, hate crime, long island news, kristin thorne
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital 34 min ago
- 6 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster 14 min ago
- Bronx sweep nets suspected gang members
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View" 53 min ago
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault
- Teen clerk beaten in Astoria deli robbery; $30,000 stolen
- Camera catches Bronx home invaders using victim's card
- College Board provides a glimpse of new SAT
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent...
34 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos