Long Island News
Christmas Eve delivery on Long Island; baby born in ambulance
GREAT NECK (WABC) -- Nassau County police and county ambulance workers helped deliver a special gift on Christmas Eve: a baby girl who was born on the way to the hospital.
Police say 40-year old Karen Hollander had gone into labor in a bank parking lot in Great Neck at about 5:15 p.m.
She called 911, and the arriving officers and ambulance technicians began transporting her to North Shore Manhasset Hospital while being escorted by a patrol car.
But the baby wouldn't wait: while en route to the hospital, the AMT's delivered the healthy baby girl, named Alexandra.
She is the first daughter for Karen Alexander and her husband Roger, who have four sons.
Karen was out shopping for a car seat for her new daughter when she started labor.
long island news, long island, baby, great neck, long island news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box 2 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act 56 min ago