Long Island News
Christmas Eve delivery on Long Island; baby born in ambulance
GREAT NECK (WABC) -- Nassau County police and county ambulance workers helped deliver a special gift on Christmas Eve: a baby girl who was born on the way to the hospital.
Police say 40-year old Karen Hollander had gone into labor in a bank parking lot in Great Neck at about 5:15 p.m.
She called 911, and the arriving officers and ambulance technicians began transporting her to North Shore Manhasset Hospital while being escorted by a patrol car.
But the baby wouldn't wait: while en route to the hospital, the AMT's delivered the healthy baby girl, named Alexandra.
She is the first daughter for Karen Alexander and her husband Roger, who have four sons.
Karen was out shopping for a car seat for her new daughter when she started labor.
long island news, long island, baby, great neck, long island news
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement 15 min ago
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half 29 min ago
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown 35 min ago
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
15 min ago
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after...
35 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos