Long Island News
Long Island mom allegedly drunk during crash with kids in car
HUNTINGTON (WABC) -- A Long Island mother was arrested in Huntington Thursday night after she allegedly drove drunk with her 7-year-old daughter and 5-year-old son in the car.
Police say 39-year-old Laquita Brooks was driving a 1998 Mercury Mystique southbound on Dix Hills Road just before 11 p.m. when she lost control of the vehicle 200 feet south of Dellwood Drive, left the roadway, struck a signpost and hit a tree. In court papers, Brooks admitted she was on her cell phone at the time.
Her daughter sustained a serious head injury and her son a minor one.
Both children, who were in the backseat and were not wearing proper child restraints, were taken to Huntington Hospital. After being treated there, the girl was transported to Cohen Children's Medical Center in New Hyde Park for further care.
The unemployed Brooks, of Wyandanch, was arrested and charged with one count of aggravated driving while intoxicated with a child 15 years or younger (Leandra's Law), one count of DWI and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child.
She was held $2,500 bond, and the judge allowed her to keep kids.
long island news, long island, suffolk county news, huntington, drunk driving, leandra's law, long island news
- Large explosion, fire in East Harlem; at least 11 hurt 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live! 31 min ago
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion 17 min ago
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination
- Crime down across New York City, except in parks
- Trial begins for New Jersey man accused of killing daughter
- NYC rape-murder cannibal conspiracy trial headed to jury
- New Jersey bank robber caught after forgetting keys
- Elderly jaywalker roughed up during arrest due in court
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- No winner: Mega Millions jackpot surges to $353 million
- Happy Birthday! Idea that spawned internet turns 25