Long Island News
Long Island mom allegedly drunk during crash with kids in car
HUNTINGTON (WABC) -- A Long Island mother was arrested in Huntington Thursday night after she allegedly drove drunk with her 7-year-old daughter and 5-year-old son in the car.
Police say 39-year-old Laquita Brooks was driving a 1998 Mercury Mystique southbound on Dix Hills Road just before 11 p.m. when she lost control of the vehicle 200 feet south of Dellwood Drive, left the roadway, struck a signpost and hit a tree. In court papers, Brooks admitted she was on her cell phone at the time.
Her daughter sustained a serious head injury and her son a minor one.
Both children, who were in the backseat and were not wearing proper child restraints, were taken to Huntington Hospital. After being treated there, the girl was transported to Cohen Children's Medical Center in New Hyde Park for further care.
The unemployed Brooks, of Wyandanch, was arrested and charged with one count of aggravated driving while intoxicated with a child 15 years or younger (Leandra's Law), one count of DWI and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child.
She was held $2,500 bond, and the judge allowed her to keep kids.
long island news, long island, suffolk county news, huntington, drunk driving, leandra's law, long island news
- Guinness drops St. Pat's Day parade sponsorship 23 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow for some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago