Long Island News
Long Island mom allegedly drunk during crash with kids in car
HUNTINGTON (WABC) -- A Long Island mother was arrested in Huntington Thursday night after she allegedly drove drunk with her 7-year-old daughter and 5-year-old son in the car.
Police say 39-year-old Laquita Brooks was driving a 1998 Mercury Mystique southbound on Dix Hills Road just before 11 p.m. when she lost control of the vehicle 200 feet south of Dellwood Drive, left the roadway, struck a signpost and hit a tree. In court papers, Brooks admitted she was on her cell phone at the time.
Her daughter sustained a serious head injury and her son a minor one.
Both children, who were in the backseat and were not wearing proper child restraints, were taken to Huntington Hospital. After being treated there, the girl was transported to Cohen Children's Medical Center in New Hyde Park for further care.
The unemployed Brooks, of Wyandanch, was arrested and charged with one count of aggravated driving while intoxicated with a child 15 years or younger (Leandra's Law), one count of DWI and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child.
She was held $2,500 bond, and the judge allowed her to keep kids.
long island news, long island, suffolk county news, huntington, drunk driving, leandra's law, long island news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 48 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault 16 min ago
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site 10 min ago
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
48 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos