Long Island News
Dix Hills man charged with beating dog with bat
DIX HILLS (WABC) -- A Dix Hills man is under arrest on charges of striking a dog several times with a baseball bat earlier this week.
Police were called to 800 Deer Park Ave. last Sunday when a man discovered a Labrador mixed breed with serious injuries including fractures to her head, face, trauma to the body and a broken forearm.
After an investigation, detectives arrested Steven Errante, in Mastic Friday night and charged him with the beating.
Police say further investigation revealed Errante had also assaulted an adult male previously.
Errante, 26, of 800 Deer Park Ave. in Dix Hills, was charged with Aggravated Cruelty to Animals under the NYS Agricultural and Markets Law, and Assault 2nd Degree.
The dog was transported by police to an emergency veterinary clinic and then transferred to an animal hospital, but she had to be euthanized.
long island news, long island, animal abuse, dix hills, long island news
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos