Long Island News
Dix Hills man charged with beating dog with bat
DIX HILLS (WABC) -- A Dix Hills man is under arrest on charges of striking a dog several times with a baseball bat earlier this week.
Police were called to 800 Deer Park Ave. last Sunday when a man discovered a Labrador mixed breed with serious injuries including fractures to her head, face, trauma to the body and a broken forearm.
After an investigation, detectives arrested Steven Errante, in Mastic Friday night and charged him with the beating.
Police say further investigation revealed Errante had also assaulted an adult male previously.
Errante, 26, of 800 Deer Park Ave. in Dix Hills, was charged with Aggravated Cruelty to Animals under the NYS Agricultural and Markets Law, and Assault 2nd Degree.
The dog was transported by police to an emergency veterinary clinic and then transferred to an animal hospital, but she had to be euthanized.
long island news, long island, animal abuse, dix hills, long island news
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Milder, maybe a shower
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Man in coma after Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Hicksville car crash kills 81-year old woman
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Mega Millions jackpot at $309 million after no winner
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92 37 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- Oil slicks spotted in hunt for missing...
13 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos