Long Island News
Ronkonkoma mom charged with starving baby
HAUPPAUGE, N.Y. -- A 21-year-old Long Island woman has been charged with manslaughter in the starvation death of her 10-month-old son.
Louisa Givens, of Ronkonkoma, was arraigned Monday in Suffolk County Court. She was charged in the death of her son and also with endangering the welfare of her 2 ½-year-old daughter.
Givens called 911 last May and said she had found her son, Kayden Givens, unresponsive.
Prosecutors said the baby had been left unattended for at least 17 hours before Givens called for help.
The child was pronounced dead at a hospital. The medical examiner's office determined the boy died of malnutrition and dehydration.
The defendant's daughter, Ava Johnson, was treated for malnutrition and placed in foster care.
Givens pleaded not guilty. Bail was set at $250,000 cash or $500,000 bond.
long island news, long island, baby death, ronkonkoma, long island news
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt 13 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some 7 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims 15 min ago
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- 2 shot after fight at Garden City nightclub
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Photos: 2014 NYC Half Marathon
- NJ man dies in Long Island Sound canoe accident
- March Madness-style bracket rates high school girls
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown 10 min ago
- Up Close with Diana Williams
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after...
10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
7 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos