Long Island News
1 dead on LIE in string of accidents during slick morning commute
QUEENS (WABC) -- One man was killed in a crash on the westbound Long Island Expressway in Queens Thursday morning, one of many accidents that delayed traffic for the morning commute.
Multiple vehicles collided in the inbound lanes near exit 31, at the Nassau County Boarder, just after a light band of snow moved through the region around 5 a.m.
The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
All westbound traffic was funneled into a single HOV lane as authorities investigated, causing miles of delays into Nassau County for hours.
Numerous other crashes were reported on slick roads on the Queens/Nassau border, including on the Cross Island Parkway and Van Wyck Expressway.
Traffic was also backed up on the Belt Parkway following a series of accidents near Erskine Avenue.
Conditions were expected to worsen throughout the day, and drivers were urged to use caution, or mass transit if possible.
long island news, long island, queens news, long island expressway, accident, long island news
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery 7 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park
- Missing autistic boy found in Brooklyn
- NYPD policy revised; officers should take stairs in fire
- New York-bound bus in wreck in Maryland
- Suspect in custody in attempted baby abduction
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire
- South Korea ferry captain arrested; death toll at 32
- Weekend subway changes affecting 11 lines