Long Island News
1 dead on LIE in string of accidents during slick morning commute
QUEENS (WABC) -- One man was killed in a crash on the westbound Long Island Expressway in Queens Thursday morning, one of many accidents that delayed traffic for the morning commute.
Multiple vehicles collided in the inbound lanes near exit 31, at the Nassau County Boarder, just after a light band of snow moved through the region around 5 a.m.
The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
All westbound traffic was funneled into a single HOV lane as authorities investigated, causing miles of delays into Nassau County for hours.
Numerous other crashes were reported on slick roads on the Queens/Nassau border, including on the Cross Island Parkway and Van Wyck Expressway.
Traffic was also backed up on the Belt Parkway following a series of accidents near Erskine Avenue.
Conditions were expected to worsen throughout the day, and drivers were urged to use caution, or mass transit if possible.
long island news, long island, queens news, long island expressway, accident, long island news
- Newtown shooter's father speaks out for 1st time
- AccuWeather: March roller coaster
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police search for missing 11-year-old Brooklyn boy
- 4-year closure of Tarrytown Tappan Zee ramp begins
- Search continues for missing plane; 2 flew on stolen passports
- UWS street to be renamed after 4-year-old Ariel Russo
- Success Academy parents to sue in charter school fight 47 min ago
- Obama to meet with Ukraine prime minister Wednesday 31 min ago
- NY-native bank robbery suspect nabbed after selfies 9 min ago
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos