Long Island News
Long Island police arrest man in Freeport home invasion shooting
FREEPORT (WABC) -- Police on Long Island have made an arrest in connection with a violent armed home invasion robbery and shooting in Freeport.
The incident happened back on April 10, 2013, just before noon.
Police say 32-year-old Abram Owens, of Hempstead, forcibly entered a home on Rutland Road with an accomplice who has yet to be caught, and confronted two people inside.
The victims were a 21-year-old woman and her 22-year-old female friend.
Authorities say Owens, who was armed with a silver revolver, struck the 21- year-old in the nose with his gun, which caused his weapon to fire, striking her in the leg.
Owens's accomplice reportedly stated, "You're not supposed to shoot her," before fleeing the scene. Owens is then accused of forcing both women upstairs at gunpoint, taking the victim's house phone and a cell phone and fleeing the scene.
The victim was transported to an area hospital, where she received treatment for her injuries.
Owens, who was advised by a friend of a CrimeStoppers flyer he had seen online regarding the incident, surrendered himself to First Squad detectives on Monday.
He is charged with robbery, assault, burglary, criminal use of a firearm, criminal possession of a weapon, violation of probation and aggravated unlicensed operation. Bail was set at $200,000.
long island news, long island, freeport, home invasion, robbery, shooting, burglary, long island news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday 44 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K 48 min ago
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority 57 min ago
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Photo released of Queens bank robbery suspect
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role 9 min ago
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
44 min ago