Long Island News
Police believe BB or pellet gun fired through ambulance window
BELLPORT, New York (WABC) -- Suffolk County police believe a BB or pellet gun was the cause of a window shattering in an ambulance with a patient laying inside.
The shot shattered the back window. One of the medics was struck with shards of flying glass.
It happened while medics were responding to a call at 8 p.m. Tuesday night, racing down a road in Bellport, Long Island.
None of them heard the shot, but the back window shattered and glass struck one of the medics in the back.
Medics say shootings here are rare but not unheard-of.
Detectives examined the ambulance Wednesday morning, but the projectile whatever it was not recovered.
Investigators say the shot was most likely a high-velocity metal pellet fired at the ambulance from a bb gun.
long island news, long island, long island news
- At least 6 dead, 69 hurt in East Harlem explosion 59 min ago
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day 13 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Two East Harlem explosion victims identified
- Survivors describe explosion in East Harlem
- Dozens homeless after East Harlem buildings destroyed
- Video: 2 men describe pulling child out of rubble
- Investigators focus on an old cast-iron gas pipeline
- Video: East Harlem Explosion on social media
- Video: Damage throughout neighborhood after East...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- Metro-North service restored after East Harlem explosion
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- AccuWeather: Polar Vortex returns for 1 day
13 min ago