Long Island News
Long Island police chase ends with crash of stolen car in Eastport
EAST MORICHES (WABC) -- Authorities say a driver led police on a high speed chase across Long Island in a stolen car.
The stolen SUV Chevy Tahoe belongs to the East Moriches fire chief.
It was spotted early Sunday morning on Route 25A in Rocky Point where Suffolk County Police tried to pull it over.
Police say the driver refused to stop and led officers on a 40 mile long chase that went through numerous towns.
Eyewitnesses say police eventually used a spike strip to give the car a flat tire.
The driver continued until he crashed into a utility pole on Montauk Highway and South Bay Avenue in Eastport.
The driver and one passenger were apprehended.
There were no injuries to the suspects or officers.
long island news, long island, long island news
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Snow for some 5 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
- AccuWeather: Snow for some
5 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos