Long Island News
Long Island police chase ends with crash of stolen car in Eastport
EAST MORICHES (WABC) -- Authorities say a driver led police on a high speed chase across Long Island in a stolen car.
The stolen SUV Chevy Tahoe belongs to the East Moriches fire chief.
It was spotted early Sunday morning on Route 25A in Rocky Point where Suffolk County Police tried to pull it over.
Police say the driver refused to stop and led officers on a 40 mile long chase that went through numerous towns.
Eyewitnesses say police eventually used a spike strip to give the car a flat tire.
The driver continued until he crashed into a utility pole on Montauk Highway and South Bay Avenue in Eastport.
The driver and one passenger were apprehended.
There were no injuries to the suspects or officers.
long island news, long island, long island news
- 8 mumps cases at Stevens Institute in Hoboken 44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Cuomo announces deal between MTA and Union
- Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87 52 min ago
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Blind marathoner will run to raise money for guide dog
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay 59 min ago
- Suspense builds for season finale of 'Scandal'