Long Island News
Long Island man admits to gruesome dismembering, pleads guilty
RIVERHEAD (WABC) -- A 34-year-old Central Islip homicide suspect accused of strangling his neighbor to death and hiding the body in his bedroom closet pleaded guilty to the murder Tuesday, just before his trial was to begin in Suffolk criminal court.
Aston Barth admitted killing 35-year-old Jason Campbell during an argument in Barth's Ferndale Boulevard home in December of 2012.
In his statement to police detectives, Barth said he used an axe to partially decapitate the corpse, and that he wrapped the body in a blanket and trash bag before putting it in his closet.
His mother and brother found the body there on Christmas Eve.
Campbell's family, who described Barth as a close friend for more 20 years, was present for the plea and expressed relief they would not be forced to endure the retelling of the murder during a trail.
Barth will be sentenced to 15 years to life in state prison on February 26.
long island news, long island, islip, riverhead, murder, long island news
- East Harlem debris cleared in search for cause
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mayor names Kathryn Garcia new head of sanitation
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Photos: Bus hits cars in Brooklyn
- Man, 65, shot to death on street in Clinton Hill
- Widow of Short Hills mall carjacking victim files suit 29 min ago
- LI hospital flooded with phone calls after insulin scare
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system deliberately disabled 14 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million
- Malaysian leader: Plane's system...
14 min ago