Long Island News
Officer stabbed at Nassau University Medical Center
EAST MEADOW (WABC) -- A massive search is underway after someone stabbed a corrections officer at Nassau University Medical Center this morning.
Investigators say the suspect attacked a Nassau County Sheriff's Office Correction officer guarding a prisoner at the hospital.
The officer was wounded in the neck, but he is going to be okay, officials say. He required stitches, but he will go home from the hospital Wednesday.
For a few hours any car that left Nassau University Medical Center was searched and the driver questioned.
Police were still trying to track down the person who slashed a corrections officer in the back of the neck as he was sitting watch outside a prisoner's room.
"The subject came up behind him," Nassau County Police Chief Steven Skrynecki said. "He reported that he felt a burning sensation behind the ear."
The officer suffered a large gash, but is ok.
Police went floor by floor through 19th floors looking for the suspect, but to no avail.
"We're reviewing volumes of video. There's an enormous video system here at the hospital so we are methodically going through all the video looking at all the staircases, elevators, floors," Skrynecki said.
Hospital operations thankfully were not affected.
"There has not been any real interruption to any of the patient care. There was some questioning of persons leaving if they had any information to tell officers at the door," Nassau County Police Officer Victor Politi said.
Authorities say they don't believe there is connection between the prisoner and the suspect. They think the suspect has fled the area.
long island news, long island, nassau county news, east meadow, long island news, kristin thorne
- At least 2 dead, 64 hurt in East Harlem explosion 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 23 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Video: 2 men describe pulling child out of rubble
- Survivors describe explosion in East Harlem 1 min ago
- Before East Harlem Explosion, resident remembers gas smell 2 min ago
- Video: East Harlem Explosion on social media 20 min ago
- Video: Dozens injured in East Harlem explosion 12 min ago
- Video: Damages throught neighborhood after East... 12 min ago
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- Metro-North service restored after East Harlem explosion 7 min ago
- Surveillance in Upper Manhattan attempted rape
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
23 min ago
- Missing Malaysian plane's last...
54 min ago