Long Island News
Trial begins Monday in Long Island teacher sex case
RIVERHEAD (WABC) -- A trial begins on Long Island Monday for a former teacher accused of having sex with a student.
Prosecutors say 28-year-old Jonathan Elsalam had a six-month sexual relationship with a 16-year-old girl at Bellport High School beginning in December 2011.
The South Country Central School District relieved him of his teaching and coaching duties in October of 2012.
"The defendant is charged with two felony counts of rape in the third degree, four felony charges of criminal sexual act in the third degree and one count of endangering the welfare of a minor, a misdemeanor," Suffolk District Attorney Tom Spota said.
Elsalam is currently free on bail.
long island news, long island, bellport, riverhead, teacher arrested, long island news
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it 49 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children 48 min ago
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey 47 min ago
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos