Long Island News
Arrests in Long Island nursing home death
MEDFORD, New York (WABC) -- Nine people have been arrested following an investigation of a Long Island nursing home by the state attorney general's office.
Prosecutors say one of the defendants is being charged with criminally negligent homicide following the death of a patient.
The arrests range from the highest administrator to a low level aide.
"They took my strength who she was. She gave me my strength and made me tough. Now I gotta be tough for her," said Michelle Giamarino.
Giamarino's mother Aurelia Rios was never supposed to die at the Medford Multicare Center, where she'd gone for rehab after a hospital stay for a breathing disorder.
But prosecutors allege Kethie Joseph a licensed practical nurse failed to read doctors orders that Rios be hooked up to a ventilator.
Over two hours, unattended, the 72 year old suffocated as warning alarms blared and no one raised a finger to help.
"I just pray that she was asleep. I don't want her to be awake, try to scream and no sound came out," adds Giamarino.
Even worse, prosecutors say administrator David Fielding conspired with others to cover up the incompetence and never reported the death to authorities. Rios' daughter was told she died of a heart attack.
"Any time we receive criticism like this, it's disappointing," said Andrew Moesel.
But at Medford Multicare, a spokesman said none of the nine had been disciplined, before their arrests Tuesday morning.
After being asked questions, the spokesperson said "I'm sorry we can't comment on that now because it's a matter of litigation."
More Details On The Suspects:
Two administrators, David Fielding and Christine Boylan were also arrested and charged with concealing records documenting the alarm system going off. Authorities say a whistle blower is the one that informed authorities of the incident.
long island news, long island, long island news
- East Harlem investigators seeking clues in basement
- Photos: Accuweather maps for possible Monday snow
- AccuWeather: Cold, but milder
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- East Harlem explosion: More on the victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- East Harlem Explosion: How to Help
- raw video: New video just after East Harlem Explosion
- Brooklyn shooting leaves 4 boys wounded 50 min ago
- NYC Sanitation Commissioner John Doherty retiring 31 min ago
- Out of control bus hits cars in Brooklyn; 5 hurt
- Malaysian leader: plane's system deliberately disabled
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $400 million
- Photos: Several vehicles on fire in New Jersey
- Brooklyn shooting leaves 4 boys wounded
50 min ago