Long Island News
Long Island woman held without bail in newborn daughter's death
WEST ISLIP (WABC) -- A housekeeper in Suffolk County is under arrest and facing charges in the death of her newborn.
Police say the woman gave birth to a girl earlier this week in West Islip, then killed her and threw her in the trash.
The baby suffered traumatic injuries and died at the scene, according to police. Prosecutors say she had three fractures to her skull, one of which caused her death.
Officials say the woman then went to a hospital to receive care after the birth, and the baby's remains were found in a plastic bag in a nearby garbage can.
Prosecutors say she had hidden the pregnancy and called her husband afterwards to say she was bleeding and needed help.
She allegedly came to the US illegally from Honduras seven months ago and says she was raped by her husband's brother in Mexico during the trip. The defense attorney says she gave birth to the baby prematurely in a toilet, and the newborn hit her head on porcelain bowl.
Her husband and a friend then became suspicious about the bag and discovered the body.
The woman, who has two other children with her husband, is charged with second-degree murder and was ordered held without bail.
long island news, long island, long island news
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads 21 min ago
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder 39 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Sketch released of suspect in East Village sex assault 7 min ago
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site 1 min ago
- Driver arrested after teens get drunk, trash party bus
- Photos: Teenagers trash party bus
- Photos released of man wanted for harassing teen Muslim girl
- NYPD to end Muslim surveillance program
- MLB marks 67th anniversary of Jackie Robinson debut
- Miley Cyrus skips concert, is hospitalized
- Boston marks 1 year since deadly Marathon bombings
- Baby found in Victoria's Secret bag died of asphyxia
- AccuWeather: Sharply Colder
39 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos