Long Island News
Long Island woman held without bail in newborn daughter's death
WEST ISLIP (WABC) -- A housekeeper in Suffolk County is under arrest and facing charges in the death of her newborn.
Police say the woman gave birth to a girl earlier this week in West Islip, then killed her and threw her in the trash.
The baby suffered traumatic injuries and died at the scene, according to police. Prosecutors say she had three fractures to her skull, one of which caused her death.
Officials say the woman then went to a hospital to receive care after the birth, and the baby's remains were found in a plastic bag in a nearby garbage can.
Prosecutors say she had hidden the pregnancy and called her husband afterwards to say she was bleeding and needed help.
She allegedly came to the US illegally from Honduras seven months ago and says she was raped by her husband's brother in Mexico during the trip. The defense attorney says she gave birth to the baby prematurely in a toilet, and the newborn hit her head on porcelain bowl.
Her husband and a friend then became suspicious about the bag and discovered the body.
The woman, who has two other children with her husband, is charged with second-degree murder and was ordered held without bail.
long island news, long island, long island news
- At least 2 dead, 55 hurt in East Harlem explosion 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Stormy changes on the way
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Some Metro-North service restored after East Harlem explosion 4 min ago
- Video: Emergency personnel investigating East...
- Video: How will the East Harlem explosion affect...
- Video: Building explosion rattles East Harlem
- Video: De Blasio: Gas leak complaint came in 15...
- Video: Residents near East Harlem explosion...
- Video: Woman hears East Harlem Explosion, thought...
- raw video: Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
- LI hospital warns of possible blood contamination