Long Island News
Long Island woman held without bail in newborn daughter's death
WEST ISLIP (WABC) -- A housekeeper in Suffolk County is under arrest and facing charges in the death of her newborn.
Police say the woman gave birth to a girl earlier this week in West Islip, then killed her and threw her in the trash.
The baby suffered traumatic injuries and died at the scene, according to police. Prosecutors say she had three fractures to her skull, one of which caused her death.
Officials say the woman then went to a hospital to receive care after the birth, and the baby's remains were found in a plastic bag in a nearby garbage can.
Prosecutors say she had hidden the pregnancy and called her husband afterwards to say she was bleeding and needed help.
She allegedly came to the US illegally from Honduras seven months ago and says she was raped by her husband's brother in Mexico during the trip. The defense attorney says she gave birth to the baby prematurely in a toilet, and the newborn hit her head on porcelain bowl.
Her husband and a friend then became suspicious about the bag and discovered the body.
The woman, who has two other children with her husband, is charged with second-degree murder and was ordered held without bail.
long island news, long island, long island news
- Stolen passports deepen missing plane mystery
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Police investigating double shooting in Brooklyn
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Noise complaint turns into Queens drug bust
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey aims for 2014 return to Mets
- Melo scores 26, Knicks beat Cavs 107-97