Long Island News
Exclusive: Legal Sea Foods worker speaks out after Carbon Monoxide incident
HUNTINGTON STATION (WABC) -- A 26-year-old worker at Legal Sea Foods on Long Island when Carbon Monoxide took over is speaking out exclusively to Eyewitness News.
"Your life could be over in a second and you have no idea," said Sal Conti.
Conti now knows just how dangerous carbon monoxide is.
The 26-year old works at Legal Sea Foods and was in the basement as toxic fumes filled the restaurant.
"It could have gone a bunch of different ways," he said.
Kemberly Richardson: You could've died?
In an exclusive interview, Conti tells Kemberly Richardson that Saturday evening began like any other.
He arrived there at 5 p.m., the restaurant was full but the general manager, Steven Nelson, was oddly absent.
"He's usually very hands on, he really works hard," said Conti.
Then he spotted assistant manager, Megan Smith.
"She was like, briefly, I don't feel right, I feel a little dizzy and she went downstairs to go to rest," he adds.
Down to the basement office, the worst thing she could have done, by now, no one knew it but carbon monoxide was leaking from blocked flue, part of the heating system.
The colorless, odorless gas was pouring into the building.
The chef asked Sal to go downstairs to get some food, when he came back up "I went outside, threw up, I was like, ok, I was maybe I got a little nauseous," he said.
Sal was suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, Megan was getting sicker.
They called 911 and once first responders arrived, they knew exactly what they were dealing with.
"It was scary, no one knew what was going on," adds Conti.
They rushed Megan to the hospital but sadly found Steven in a basement bathroom, it was too late, he died at the hospital.
"He was such an unbelievable guy, he's' at work,it is a silent killer and you don't realize it until something like this happens," adds Conti.
long island news, long island, huntington, suffolk county news, carbon monoxide, long island news, kemberly richardson
- 2 elderly residents hurt in Queens home invasion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Gusty Wind
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Camilla Parker Bowles' brother Mark Shand dies 37 min ago
- 'Bachelorette' Contestant dies in paragliding accident
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall 38 min ago
- 3 suspects arrested, cop shot at NJ shopping center
- Photos: Garfield police shooting scene in photos
- Abandoned dog rescued and saved by SPCA in Bronxville
- Long Island school bus driver accused of selling heroin
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- Attempted luring incident reported in West Nyack
- FBI investigates hoax that sent SWAT teams to house
- 2-year-old boy survives 3-story window fall
38 min ago
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos