Long Island News
Exclusive: Attacked bus driver speaks out
FRANKLIN SQUARE, N.Y. (WABC) -- In an exclusive interview with Eyewitness News reporter Stacey Sager, the bus driver attacked on Long Island on Monday says the worst part for her is none of the 30 or so passengers lifted a finger to help. They shot video instead, she says.
"And all I know...she just start pounding me, pounding me," she said.
Keisha McGregor knows her job as a bus driver here at Nassau Intercounty Express can be dangerous, but in her 10 years on the job she never expected to be attacked.
A passenger, who clearly had a rage problem, attacked her on Monday afternoon in Franklin Square because, Keisha says, the passenger didn't realize it was an express bus and missed her stop along Hempstead Turnpike.
"I even gave her a transfer and that was it," she said.
But it wasn't over. Keisha made her next stop, and that's when the assault began.
"First she threw a bottle at me," Keisha explained. "She threw a water bottle at me, then she start to pound me even when I had my foot on the brake," she said.
Keisha says none of the 30 people came to help her. At least 2 of them used their cell phones not to call 9-1-1 but to shoot video of the attack. Perhaps the videos can help in the investigation, but the attacker remains at large. She was seen in the video with a small child in tow.
The worst part for Keisha was that as she continued to protect the people on the bus, they did nothing to protect her.
"I still had my foot on the brake. I didn't even have my emergency brake on, so any minute, I could roll, I could hit a building or something," she said. "And they didn't even care about me. Nobody even care about me"
Police are asking for help identifying the woman who attacked the driver. Anyone with information is asked to call CrimeStoppers in Nassau County at 1-800-244-TIPS.
long island news, long island, long island news, stacey sager
- Mom 'steals' car - without even realizing it
- AccuWeather: Clear and Cold
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man claims football players beat him in Soho club
- N.J. woman charged with trying to kill her 3 children
- Firefighters rescue 80-year-old man from Bronx fire Wednesday...
- Fire at Red Carpet Inn in Elmwood Park, New Jersey
- Suspect in Boston rice cooker incident sent to psych hospital
- 7 dead, 290 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Rare spring snow coats cars, slicks roads
- Photos: Spring snow around New York area
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on "The View"
- Drugs stashed in hiding places in Manhattan apartments
Eyewitness News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos