Jokes needed! Site collects smiles for cancer patient
April 24, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- Miles Austrevich, 19, will undergo a stem cell transplant in Los Angeles in his battle against brain cancer. So his father is collecting jokes to make Miles smile during his recovery.
Five thousand jokes, to be exact. So far they have hundreds. And they hope to get a big boost from The Laugh Factory, located at 3175 N. Broadway in Chicago, which has started its 30-hour Joke-A-Thon.
"It's pretty awesome. It's kind of nice to see my face really big up in lights, Austrevich said. "On Broadway, exactly."
On May 7, Miles will be in Los Angeles for a stem cell transplant and after that he will be in isolation for three to six months -- and his best friend will be his computer .
"Because he's going to be in there I'm trying up load jokes on line that he can watch during his recovery because he's going to be 2000 miles away from family and friends," Len Austrevich, Miles' father, said.
Jokes4Miles.com has already been in operation since January and hundreds of jokes have been posted. So this is open to everyone with a good clean story. And for miles it should relieve the loneliness.<p "Hopefully my parents will be able to come out there a little bit ... but ... I think I will be alone for part of it," Austrevich said. "I will have the jokes and that'll be a great way to keep connected."
"The short riddles, knock-knock jokes, puns ... anything," Len said. "Anything that will put a smile on his face."
"Things aren't going so well and he'll show me a joke that he just got in and it completely brightens my mood," Austrevich said.
The Laugh Factory will record the 30-hour Joke-A-Thon and post them to Miles' website to help collect laughter, the best medicine.
mathie, frank mathie
- Young child shot in foot in the Bronx 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer days ahead
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Jersey City water main break repaired
- Twin babies tossed from fire in Bronx apartment 37 min ago
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky 16 min ago
- Photos: Tanker explodes on Sunrise Highway
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions jackpot comes forward 39 min ago
- LI man arraigned in 7 'knockout game' assaults
- Bloomberg delivers last major speech at Mayor
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- Victim in Short Hills Mall shooting laid to rest 11 min ago
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- LI tanker crash sends fireball into the sky
16 min ago
- 1 of 2 winners in $636 Mega Millions...
39 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos