Norman Rockwell's 'Willie Gillis Food Package from Home' could bring in $10M at Susanin's Auctions in Chicago
November 27, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- Norman Rockwell painted more than 300 covers for the Saturday Evening Post, including Willie Gillis Food Package from Home, which is up for auction.
Dozens of other pieces of work are up for auction at Susanin's Auctions on South Clinton in Chicago this weekend. But the scene stealer is the 3x5 foot oil on canvas by Normal, known as one of the greatest illustrators of American life. "This is a Saturday Evening Post cover from 1941. A painting by Norman Rockwell titled "Willie Gillis Food Package from Home," Sean Susanin, president of Susanin's Auctions, said. Willie Gillis was on the front of the Saturday Evening Post on October 4, 1941. "This story is little Willie Gillis has received a food package from home. From his grandmother or mother we're not sure who sent it. But we do know that the other soldiers are in hot pursuit of what's in that package. Probably some sweet treats of some sort," Sean Susanin said. "He probably got one or two but shared the most with everyone else." Rockwell painted 11 Willie Gillis covers for the Saturday Evening Post during the war years -- and they always told of the boy next store who traded in his civvies for GI fatigues. The painting hasn't been seen by the public for more than 40 years. "This painting has been here in Chicago, hanging in a CEO's office since 1968," Susanin said. The company's new CEO, who hasn't been identified, is selling the Americana work. The price it brings could make little Willie go AWOL. "It's a very rare image. A very rare painting. Ten million dollars is not a lot of money for somebody who wants a trophy like this is their collection," Susanin said. Ten million? That copy of the Post from 1941 cost just five cents.
mathie, frank mathie
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth 6 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- 2 killed in motorcycle accident in Queens
- 4 arrested in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Biker killed in Bronx collision
- LI burglary foiled by man watching on webcam in China
- Long Island driver charged with DWI in hit and run
- Target offers discount, free credit monitoring after data breach
- Knicks lose to Grizzlies, 95-87
- Video: Holiday shoppers enjoying warm weather
- Photos: Fatal shooting at the Short Hills Mall
- AccuWeather: Record Warmth
6 min ago