New Jersey News
NJ fugitive who stole cop car caught in CT
CONNECTICUT (WABC) -- The search for a dangerous fugitive who eluded police in New Jersey by stealing their cruiser has come to a peaceful end in Connecticut.
Police say 27-year-old Jose Rodriguez, of the Bronx, was arrested without incident at the Microtel Inn and Suites motel in Uncasville, near the Mohegan Sun Casino, just after 3:30 a.m. He had been on the run since Wednesday afternoon, when police arrested him Fort Lee, New Jersey.
Rodriguez initially refused to open the door, but officers pushed their way in and took him into custody.
Officers with an NYPD task force had wanted to question him about several shootings in the Bronx, and they handcuffed him and shackled his legs before putting him in the squad car. They went to search Rodriguez' car, where they found a loaded gun, but while they were searching, the suspect was able to escape in the car.
He somehow managed to maneuver from the back seat to the front seat, and police say he used a key on the same ring as the ignition key to remove the shackles. The car was found abandoned five miles later in Ridgefield.
Rodriguez' escape prompted a 25-minute lockdown at Fort Lee Elementary School No. 2, a move school officials said they made as a precaution.
Rodriguez was charged with being a fugitive from justice, based on a New York state warrant. He has at least seven prior arrests, including possession of marijuana and robbery. He also was wanted on a parole violation stemming from a drug-sale conviction.
new jersey, fort lee, ridgefield, crime, school lockdown, new jersey news
- Americans on board missing flight ID'd
- AccuWeather: Cooler Sunday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mayor de Blasio continues to rally for universal Pre-K
- Elderly man attacked at Port Authority
- LI man accused of killing uncle, burying him in backyard
- Grandfather killed in Long Island City hit and run
- Proposed teacher layoffs in Newark set off dispute 44 min ago
- Newtown to DC bike ride to push for gun control
- Mom accused of driving into surf with kids goes to court
- Spring forward: Time to set the clocks ahead
- Matt Harvey still predicting 2014 role
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014