New Jersey News
Donations needed to help those in need for Thanksgiving
ENGLEWOOD (WABC) -- An anonymous donor has saved Thanksgiving at an Englewood food pantry.
The person donated 1,000 turkeys, allowing the Center for Food Action to provide Thanksgiving dinner baskets to most, if not all, of the 3,800 families in Bergen and Passaic counties who requested them.
Hundreds of roasting pans are wrapped like the gifts that they are filled with stuffing, gravy mix, tea next to bags of fresh vegetables and a turkey to top it off.
The Center For Food Action filled the gymnasium at Presbyterian Church in Englewood with the care packages, handing them to hundreds of families who signed up.
"It's such a Blessing to get this. I thank them for it, because people really need it," Sarah Hazel of Teaneck said.
The center will provide Thanksgiving to several hundred more families than last year as the economy has created an even bigger need.
"We're seeing a lot of people who never thought they would need a food bank now coming, but we know they're going to get through this," Jennifer Rothman of Center For Food Action said.
The food bank desperately needs more donations to complete the meals.
Executive director Patricia Espy said the food bank is running behind on items such as canned potatoes and vegetables.
Espy is hoping additional donations will allow the organization to provide complete holiday dinners to everyone.
Volunteers have been working for days to get all the packages ready to go.
If you can help, please contact Center for Food Action: Thanksgiving Food Distribution at(201) 569-1804 ext. 28 or visit www.cfanj.org on the web.
new jersey, englewood, thanksgiving, new jersey news, toni yates
- Winter Weather Advisory
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- President Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy 27 min ago
- 'Snow Alert' issued for New York City
- New Jersey preparing for another dose of snow 56 min ago
- LIRR preparing for snow, ice
- Photos: AccuWeather Forecast in pictures
- Woman beaten up, robbed on Harlem subway platform
- Port Authority relocating owls that are threat to planes 36 min ago
- Man shot to death in Valley Stream
- Homeless shelter charity and giving tips
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide