New Jersey News
FAA probing lasers pointed at Newark-bound planes
NEWARK, N.J. -- Federal authorities on Friday were investigating reports of lasers being pointed at planes landing at Newark Liberty International Airport.
The Federal Aviation Administration said it received about a dozen reports from pilots this week. All involved planes landing at the airport from the north.
FAA spokesman Jim Peters said there were six incidents on Wednesday and several more earlier in the week. The pilots reported seeing green laser lights in their cockpits while on final approach.
It's a violation of federal law to shine a laser at an aircraft.
In 2006, a Parsippany man received two years' probation after admitting to shining a laser at a plane approaching Teterboro Airport that temporarily blinded the two pilots. He had faced 18 to 24 months in prison under federal sentencing guidelines.
Nationwide, reports of laser incidents have been increasing, according to the FAA. More than 5,000 incidents have been reported since 2005, including more than 2,200 in 2010 alone.
"Pilots are more diligent in reporting these incidents and it seems more people are engaging in this dangerous and irresponsible behavior," Peters said.
Hand-held lasers have become cheaper and more powerful in recent years, Peters said.
DO YOU HAVE PHOTOS OR VIDEOS TO ADD TO THIS STORY? CLICK HERE TO UPLOAD THEM TO IWITNESS.7ONLINE.COM, OR E-MAIL THEM TO IWITNESS@WABC.COM
newark liberty international airport, air travel, new jersey news
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea 41 min ago
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire 44 min ago
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn 38 min ago
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction 31 min ago
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park