New Jersey News
Man shot by police after chase in North Jersey
IRVINGTON -- Authorities say a man is in critical condition after he was shot by a police officer following a chase in northern New Jersey.
Authorities say members of the East Orange Police Department's Violent Crimes Task Force tried to pull over a vehicle shortly before 11 p.m. Wednesday.
The vehicle sped away and officers pursued it to Irvington, where the vehicle stopped.
Essex County Prosecutor's Office chief of detectives Anthony Ambrose said an East Orange officer opened fire and the suspect was wounded in the face.
Ambrose says it's not clear why the officer fired.
Ambrose says the suspect is expected to survive. The man's name has not been released.
The shooting is under investigation.
new jersey, irvington, shooting, police shooting, new jersey news
- Police search for missing 11-year old Brooklyn boy
- AccuWeather: Changeable Week
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Cherry Hill Mall parking dispute turns violent
- Squatters flee fire in Paterson; 2 vacant buildings gutted
- Photos: Fire guts 2 vacant Paterson buildings
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box
- Liam Neeson tours stables amid carriage horse debate
- Toddler's FaceTime saves mother after dog bite
- Fire rips through seven houses in the Bronx
- Antonio Cromartie released by Jets
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act