New Jersey News
Man shot by police after chase in North Jersey
IRVINGTON -- Authorities say a man is in critical condition after he was shot by a police officer following a chase in northern New Jersey.
Authorities say members of the East Orange Police Department's Violent Crimes Task Force tried to pull over a vehicle shortly before 11 p.m. Wednesday.
The vehicle sped away and officers pursued it to Irvington, where the vehicle stopped.
Essex County Prosecutor's Office chief of detectives Anthony Ambrose said an East Orange officer opened fire and the suspect was wounded in the face.
Ambrose says it's not clear why the officer fired.
Ambrose says the suspect is expected to survive. The man's name has not been released.
The shooting is under investigation.
new jersey, irvington, shooting, police shooting, new jersey news
- 15 injured after car drives through Trader Joe's 16 min ago
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend 9 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Railroad Administration orders Metro-North to use 2 engineers
- Train derail victim's brother speaks out about her death 16 min ago
- Surveillance video released in "Baby Angel" case
- abcnews: North Korea Deports US War Vet Merrill Newman
- South Africans pay tribute to Nelson Mandela
- Mandela's influence felt in New York City
- Photos: Nelson Mandela through the years
- 'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands 15 min ago
- Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years 27 min ago
- Secret Sales: Diamonds, pretzels and iPhone cases
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rollercoaster weekend
9 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos