New Jersey News
Police hunt for suspect in rape of 12-year-old
CLIFTON (WABC) -- Police say the suspects in this case were looking for a minor to lure off the internet and they found one.
The victim was a 12-year-old girl from Paterson.
Detectives have one of the suspects, but another is still on the loose and may have fled the country.
Clifton Police believe 20-year-old Leonardo Quintero cruised the chat rooms on the internet hoping to find a minor.
They say he found what he was looking for on the AIM.com chat website. The girl was unaware she was being lured into a trap, police said.
Detectives say for two weeks Quintero chatted her up before convincing the girl to meet him and a friend, 19-year-old Canpolat Cankurt, last Friday.
Police say the two brought the girl back to Cankurt's Clifton home where they raped her in the basement even documenting the crime with a cell phone video camera.
Police say after raping the girl, Quintero dropped her off near her home in Paterson.
The girl lead detectives back to Cankurt's home where he answered the door and, police say, confessed to the crime.
He was arrested and charged with kidnapping, aggravated sexual assault and luring and enticing a minor. He is being held on $350,000.
Quintero is described as a Hispanic man, approximately 5-foot-8 and 150 pounds, with brown eyes, black hair and a medium complexion. He has tattoos on both forearms. He was last seen driving a 2002 silver Chevy Impala with license plate ZEW11P.
On Wednesday, authorities said that they received information that Quintero had flown to Miami and then took another flight to Lima, Peru.
Anyone with information about Quintero's whereabouts is asked to call police.
new jersey, clifton, paterson, rape, new jersey news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys 11 min ago
- Yaphank church badly damaged by fire
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos