New Jersey News
Suspect in NJ rape of 12-year-old to surrender
CLIFTON (WABC) -- The suspect wanted in the rape of a 12-year-old girl in Clifton, New Jersey, is expected to surrender to police Wednesday.
Authorities say 20-year-old Leonardo Quintero, of Paterson, fled to Peru last week. He is flying back to the United States to be placed into custody.
Quintero will land at Newark Airport, where authorities will take him into custody.
Police say he decided to surrender after his family convinced him to return from Lima.
Another suspect, 19-year-old Canpolat Cankurt, is already in custody in the rape. Detectives say Quintero found his victim on AIM chat and talked to her for two weeks before convincing her to meet him at Cankurt's home.
There, police say the two men raped the girl in the basement, even documenting the crime with a cell phone video camera.
Police say after raping the girl, Quintero dropped her off near her home in Paterson.
The girl led detectives back to Cankurt's home, where he answered the door and, police say, confessed to the crime.
He was arrested and charged with kidnapping, aggravated sexual assault and luring and enticing a minor. He is being held on $350,000.
new jersey, clifton, paterson, rape, new jersey news
- Cuomo to announce deal between MTA and Union 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Clear and chilly
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Bodega worker fatally shot in Brooklyn
- Person of interest ID'd in Flatbush teen's shooting
- Hundreds still missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: South Korea ferry disaster
- Deal reached on calming Ukraine tensions 25 min ago
- New York political leader Basil Paterson dies at 87
- Central Park Conservancy wants horse carriages to stay 45 min ago
- Reservoir to be flushed because of urinating teen
- NYC mayor announces Sandy recovery reforms
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2014