New Jersey News
Suspect in NJ rape of 12-year-old to surrender
CLIFTON (WABC) -- The suspect wanted in the rape of a 12-year-old girl in Clifton, New Jersey, is expected to surrender to police Wednesday.
Authorities say 20-year-old Leonardo Quintero, of Paterson, fled to Peru last week. He is flying back to the United States to be placed into custody.
Quintero will land at Newark Airport, where authorities will take him into custody.
Police say he decided to surrender after his family convinced him to return from Lima.
Another suspect, 19-year-old Canpolat Cankurt, is already in custody in the rape. Detectives say Quintero found his victim on AIM chat and talked to her for two weeks before convincing her to meet him at Cankurt's home.
There, police say the two men raped the girl in the basement, even documenting the crime with a cell phone video camera.
Police say after raping the girl, Quintero dropped her off near her home in Paterson.
The girl led detectives back to Cankurt's home, where he answered the door and, police say, confessed to the crime.
He was arrested and charged with kidnapping, aggravated sexual assault and luring and enticing a minor. He is being held on $350,000.
new jersey, clifton, paterson, rape, new jersey news
- Multi-car pileup on Gowanus Expressway in Brooklyn
- AccuWeather: Chilly Wednesday
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Photos: Massive car pileup on Gowanus Expressway
- LIE in Suffolk County reopens
- Family pushes for drug/alcohol testing after fatal accidents
- Blind man and dog rescued off subway tracks
- Photos: Blind man and dog fall on subway tracks
- EXCLUSIVE: Suspect arrested in 'knockout' assaults
- Short Hills Mall shooting: Funeral arrangements announced
- ACS workers reach plea deal in girl's death
- Jersey City reveals what was inside mysterious safes
- Anchorman 2 cast talks about much-anticipated sequel
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos