New Jersey News
3 charged with records tampering in NJ jail death
TRENTON -- A Trenton police officer and two police aides are accused of records tampering after an inmate was found dead in his cell at the city jail.
The Times of Trenton reports Kenneth Howard had been left unchecked for nearly seven hours. The 55-year-old was found dead in his cell at 3:30 a.m. Sunday. The Medical Examiner's Office said Howard died of liver failure. Municipal jails are required by law to conduct cell checks every 30 minutes and maintain a log. Officer Joseph Schiaretti and police aide Jose Millan have been charged with records tampering and presenting false documents. The other police aide, Richard Reyes, was charged with records tampering only. Howard was pulled over and arrested around 10:30 a.m. on Jan. 14 for outstanding warrants.
trenton, new jersey, new jersey news
- Bill Bratton named next Police Commissioner
- AccuWeather Forecast: Unseasonably Warm Air
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Who is Bill Bratton?
- Photos: Bill Bratton, next NYPD Police Commissioner
- FSU's Jameis Winston not charged in sex assault case 37 min ago
- Carteret freight train derailment: Turnpike reopens
- Alleged assault of Seton Hall student may be captured on video
- Fast food workers demonstrate to demand higher wages
- Police shoot and kill man with special needs
- Newtown 911 calls released
- Attorney: Train engineer was 'in a daze'
- Photos: Hazmat crews respond to Carteret freight...
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos