New Jersey News
Beloved "Cake Boss" baker dies
CARLSTADT, N.J. -- Sal Picinich, a veteran baker who appeared on the reality TV series "Cake Boss," has died in New Jersey. He was 63.
His wife, Lucille, told The Record newspaper the cause was cancer.
Picinich was born on the Croatian island of Susak.
He worked 45 years at Carlo's Bakery in Hoboken, where the TV series is recorded.
The bakery's publicist says Buddy "The Cake Boss" Valastro looked up to Picinich as a "second father." Picinich had worked under Valastro's late father, Buddy Valastro Sr.
Picinich stopped appearing on the show when he began battling illness in late 2009. However, he returned last summer to accept the employee of the century award to mark the bakery's 100th anniversary.
The Carlstadt resident is survived by his wife and two sons.
new jersey, reality tv, new jersey news
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix 30 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- Snow heads into NYC after hitting southern, central NJ 50 min ago
- Is school closed or delayed? Find out fast: Here's how!
- NJ Transit cross-honoring tickets system-wide 48 min ago
- New warning about potentially dangerous toys
- MTA announces new safety measures after Metro-North derailment 23 min ago
- New York City unveils interactive map of major crimes
- Giants playoff hopes eliminated after Chargers loss
- Video: Phil Lipof says goodbye to Eyewitness News
- Broncos' Matt Prater sets NFL record with 64-yard FG
- Photos: Wintry Mix Hits Tri-State Area
- AccuWeather Forecast: Wintry Mix
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos