New Jersey News
Beloved "Cake Boss" baker dies
CARLSTADT, N.J. -- Sal Picinich, a veteran baker who appeared on the reality TV series "Cake Boss," has died in New Jersey. He was 63.
His wife, Lucille, told The Record newspaper the cause was cancer.
Picinich was born on the Croatian island of Susak.
He worked 45 years at Carlo's Bakery in Hoboken, where the TV series is recorded.
The bakery's publicist says Buddy "The Cake Boss" Valastro looked up to Picinich as a "second father." Picinich had worked under Valastro's late father, Buddy Valastro Sr.
Picinich stopped appearing on the show when he began battling illness in late 2009. However, he returned last summer to accept the employee of the century award to mark the bakery's 100th anniversary.
The Carlstadt resident is survived by his wife and two sons.
new jersey, reality tv, new jersey news
- 5-year-old struck and killed in Brooklyn 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Snow For Some
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Guinness drops sponsorship of St. Patrick's Parade 10 min ago
- Brooklyn fire leaves 2 children critically hurt
- East Harlem investigation focuses on basement
- Church services to remember East Harlem victims
- Photos: East Harlem explosion
- Mahopac HS basketball coach resigns after racism allegations
- Kenya's Geoffrey Mutai wins 2014 NYC Half
- Florida overall No. 1 seed for NCAA tournament
- Final words from Malaysia jet came after systems shutdown
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos