New Jersey News
Beloved "Cake Boss" baker dies
CARLSTADT, N.J. -- Sal Picinich, a veteran baker who appeared on the reality TV series "Cake Boss," has died in New Jersey. He was 63.
His wife, Lucille, told The Record newspaper the cause was cancer.
Picinich was born on the Croatian island of Susak.
He worked 45 years at Carlo's Bakery in Hoboken, where the TV series is recorded.
The bakery's publicist says Buddy "The Cake Boss" Valastro looked up to Picinich as a "second father." Picinich had worked under Valastro's late father, Buddy Valastro Sr.
Picinich stopped appearing on the show when he began battling illness in late 2009. However, he returned last summer to accept the employee of the century award to mark the bakery's 100th anniversary.
The Carlstadt resident is survived by his wife and two sons.
new jersey, reality tv, new jersey news
- Nanny identifies new hero after attempted abduction in Chelsea
- AccuWeather: A Little Cooler
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- DISH Network signs on for WATCH ABC app
- Man arrested for arson in Water Mill fire
- Dead body found in plastic container in Brooklyn
- Bergen County officer injured in Lodi crash
- 2 killed in wreck on Southern State identified
- No hearts stolen on date, only NJ woman's dog, TV
- Photos: Lodi crash injures police officer
- Woman fatally shot in Queens; man in custody
- Suspect charged in attempted baby abduction
- 4 charged in Elizabeth auto body shop robbery
- Scooter rider fatally shot in South Ozone Park