New Jersey News
Nursing home employee arrested on assault charges
Saturday, March 05, 2011
NORTH BERGEN (WABC) -- A North Bergen nursing home worker is accused of beating an 87-year-old, and the whole thing was caught on tape.
Lieutenant Cannella is still disgusted at what he had to watch.A hidden camera video allegedly shows 59-year old Julia Galvan hitting a paralyzed, terminally ill woman at the Harborage Nursing Home in North Bergen.
Galvan hit the woman repeatedly, investigators said. "Like she forgot to hit her again. Boom! Just like that she would hit her and walk away," said Lieutenant Cannella. Modesta Alvarado died two days after the video was taken. The Medical Examiner was looking into whether the assault played any role in her death. The woman's daughter had suspected the nursing home wasn't properly taking care of her dying mother, so she set up a camera inside a clock. Police say she never thought she would capture what she did. Lieutenant Canella was in the room when Galvan saw the video and confessed to the abuse. "Her only answer was, she was stressed. I've been in this business a long time. Nothing is supposed to shock our senses, but I've never seen anything like this before. It's disturbing," he said. The nursing home released a statement late Friday night, saying it is working in concert and fully cooperating with the North Bergen Police Department. Harborage said Galvan has been fired. "Our foremost priority is the safety, well being and health of all residents and that is clearly demonstrated by our outstanding record to our community and the residents at The Harborage. The actions of this one individual do not reflect the standards implemented by our staff and our significant efforts in caring for our residents," the statement read. Harborage officials said they have conducted meetings with resident family members and our staff to immediately address all issues or concerns. Galvan has been charged with assault and neglect of the elderly. She is free on 5-thousand dollars bail.
(Copyright ©2013 WABC-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
new jersey, north bergen, crime, elderly abuse, new jersey news, phil lipof
- Third grader killed in accident, truck driver charged 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Warmer stretch arrives
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- iWitness Photos and Videos
- NJ Transit train disabled inside Hudson River tunnel 18 min ago
- Surveillance released in shooting of 9-year-old boy
- Off-duty NYPD officer stabbed in neck in Brooklyn
- Man stabbed on 2 train in Bronx
- Prosecutors likely to reduce charges in SUV assault
- Cops suspended, they say for serving in military
- GWB repair work this weekend
- Father in Army reunites with son in kindergarten class
- Photos: Deadly fire in the Bronx
- Target data breach: 7 Things to know
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos