New Jersey News
Search of icy NJ pond called off; no body
MILBURN, NJ (WABC) -- Rescue teams in New Jersey have called off the search of an icy pond after reports of a missing person.
Police and divers spent hours searching the waters of Campbell's Pond in the South Mountain Reservation in Millburn.
Authorities began combing the pond after a local Scoutmaster reported seeing a dog fall in the water and then a man struggling to rescue it.
Essex County Sheriff Armando Fontoura said, "He thought the dog fell through, then as he kept driving, he turned back and didn't see anything. He made a u-turn, came back and again he didn't see anything or anybody so, you know, we hoping that nobody fell through the ice."
Sheriff Fontoura says authorities checked with every police department within 40 miles, but so far no missing person reports had been filed.
new jersey, millburn, rescue, new jersey news
- Brooklyn Bridge reopens after car fire
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds 54 min ago
- Eyewitness News Live
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Weather puts damper on start of holiday weekend
- Residents protest bike sharing program 55 min ago
- 3 more men arrested in slaying of British soldier in London
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- Sandy-damaged New York Aquarium reopens this weekend
- Long Island 'Hot Dog Hooker' arrested again
- Christie and Snooki face off at Jersey shore
- abcnews: Cruise Passenger Bill of Rights Introduced
- Photos: Kickoff to a Long Island Summer photos
- Photos: Circle 7 at GMA's Summer Concert Series
- AccuWeather Forecast: Rain and clouds
54 min ago
- Protestors against location of bike share...
52 min ago