New Jersey News
Fire detroys warehouse in Elizabeth
ELIZABETH, New Jersey (WABC) -- The search is underway for the cause of a five-alarm fire that destroyed a furniture warehouse in Elizabeth early Wednesday.
The fire tore through the warehouse on 1st Street just before 5 a.m.
Firefighters were delayed in accessing the fire because of bars on the doors and metal roll-up gates in front of the building housing the Lopez Furniture Gallery Clearance Center.
Firefighters from numerous departments battled the flames from the outside. At one point, an exterior wall collapsed.
Deputy Fire Chief Donald Peterson said they then had to contend with the furniture, plus the heat and smoke, once they got inside.
No injuries were reported.
new jersey, elizabeth, fire, new jersey news
- Joe Torre's daughter catches child from awning
- AccuWeather Forecast: More sunshine
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- WATCH ABC is available to Channel 7 viewers
- Teacher charged with rape of student in the Bronx
- Leonia firehouse reopens after sex assault 16 min ago
- At least 6 hurt when car jumps curb in East Village
- UFT endorses Thompson for NYC mayor
- TWA Flight 800 crash investigators want new probe
- Woman allegedly kicks police dog in teeth
- American Medical Association calling obesity a disease
- Men's Warehouse fires founder/spokesman George Zimmer
- Natura recalls all brands of dry pet food
- Photos: Most endangered historic places
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos