New Jersey News
Three killed in NJ single car crash
HILLSIDE, NJ (WABC) -- Three people were killed in a car wreck in New Jersey that shut down Route 22 on Saturday morning.
The deadly crash happened in Hillside in Union County.
Union police say they spotted the driver speeding in excess of 90 miles-an-hour before the accident, which happened around 2:30 a.m.
The car was travelling so fast that it split into two pieces after hitting a pole.
No other vehicles were involved in the crash, which happened near the town's border with Newark.
Accident investigators are looking into whether drugs or alcohol played a role in the crash.
Killed were the 22-year-old driver, Luis Dossantos of East Newark, and two Kearny residents - 21-year-old Robinson Pinheiro, a backseat passenger who was ejected from the car, and 23-year-old Danilo Xavier, who was in the front passenger seat.
"He was a great guy. He helped his family out a lot. He wanted to go to school, make something of himself. He wanted to be an architect," Pinheiro's friend Giancarlo Cornejo said.
Two other backseat passengers were being treated at University Hospital in Newark.
Dossantos' sister-in-law Chamaee Cordova said, "He was young, full of energy, intelligent and just a wonderful person. It's a shock. It's very terrible."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
new jersey, union county, hillside, accident, new jersey news
- Baruch College student dies in apparent frat ritual 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold 12 min ago
- Live: Eyewitness News on 7online streamed live!
- Get WATCH ABC for your mobile device
- Mother charged with murder in Baby Angel case
- Thieves target luxury cars in New York area
- Photos: Luxury car theft ring bust in NYC
- Metro-North derailment sparks rules review
- De Blasio says family will live in Gracie Mansion
- Photos: A look at Gracie Mansion
- George Zimmerman will not face assault charges, prosecutors say 53 min ago
- Pope Francis chosen Time's Person of the Year
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Mega Millions jackpot grows to $400 Million
- AccuWeather: Brisk And Cold
12 min ago